WELCOME TO THE L'ARCHE INVERNESS COMMUNITY BLOG!

SORRY THIS PAGE HAS MOVED!

Please visit our official website at:

http://www.larche.org.uk/Sites/inverness

Like us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/larcheinverness/



________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 7 March 2013

My Community Story by Amy

 
Myself and Gina on an outing to Fort William

In 2009, I arrived to the community of L’Arche Inverness as a young, shy but enthusiastic seventeen year old fresh from completing my higher studies.  I had worked for the retail sector of The British Red Cross for approaching two years so I wasn’t oblivious to the ups and downs that comes with working for a charity but L’Arche Inverness was something different; something I never could have imagined to be nestled away in Inverness – a real gem!
From the moment I arrived to the community I was overwhelmed by the seemingly endless streams of smiling faces and warm welcomes which was offered to me as I waited to start my new job on reception.  Although I had applied to work in the office which I knew was situated within a day service for adults with learning disabilities, I could have never anticipated the rollercoaster ride which the last three and a half years has given me.
Very quickly I was able to make use of my qualifications and establish myself within the office – I always get joy from sorting procedures/ paperwork etc which others don’t have time to face or don’t know where to begin but being in the office is much more than that.  I have always been given the opportunity to use my creative flare to make up displays and organise events which can range from 30 – 100 people at times. Kirsty who works within The Workshops is always great at helping to organise the events too – how many “office jobs” would you get the chance to prepare such amazing events/ parties for adults with learning disabilities.
I was very quickly welcomed into the community homes and was involved in the support of our ‘core members’ which was great as we were able to build meaningful and respectful relationships in no time at all. I had also had the opportunity to live in Grianan (one of our community homes) alongside my job at reception. Lilias and Fiona welcomed me to their home with open arms but like any intense family environments we definitely had our ‘arguments’ and didn’t see eye to eye in certain areas – this only brought our relationships closer.
Fiona, Myself, Mark and Derek at The Workshops
 
Having the opportunity to stay in the community houses was an invaluable experience as I now have a better grasp of the different areas of the community. Living with the girls and other assistants from around the world will be a memory I will cherish forever.  Unfortunately the strain of going between my commitments in the office and house became overwhelming as I felt I could not offer my all to both areas. I now work in the office as an Admin Officer and continue to keep up my close relationships with the core members from Saorsa and Grianan as well as Richard, Mark, Sue and Derrick which is always a pleasure!  I hardly ever go a week without visiting the houses or having some of the core members round for dinner or going to the pub for a quiet pint!
Coming to work in a community is much more than you expect. Of course there is plenty of ‘down’ moments but the ‘up’ moments far outweigh them! I have grown up so much within the community and have been blessed with knowledge, experience, friendships and a fiancé which I may have never got if I had chosen to work in any other place.
 
Are you are present or ex- assistant/ community member?
If so, please send your stories and photographs to Amy at reception@larcheinverness.com and they will be posted onto our blog!
 
Get typing and share your experience of community life here in Inverness.

No comments:

Post a Comment